Saturday, December 03, 2005

I'm A Bad Driver

Hi, my name is Raechel, and I'm a bad driver. There's a part of me that always knew this but never wanted to admit it. I finally admit I have a problem, and it won't get any better until I confront it. I also suffer from a well known disease called road rage. But it's not my fault. It's all the other bad drivers who bring on the symptoms. Ok, so maybe I'm a little to blame. I think a fraction of the problem is that I'm always in a hurry (which, by the way, has led to numerous amounts of speeding tickets). To slow down and take my time is beyond me. It will never happen. Now, I don't consider myself as an aggressive accident-prone driver. In ordinary character, one could say I'm a Clark Kent, but as soon as I get behind the wheel I transform into a psychotic version of Superman. I do try to obey all traffic laws. I use my turn signals when changing lanes, I stop at stop signs, I always wear my seatbelt, I even look out for animals and pedestrians. But when it comes to slow drivers I lose my cool. Who wants to be stuck behind some old man driving 20 miles per hour in a 50 mile per hour speed zone? Not me! I mean, where do these people get their driver's license? Bo Bo's School of Driving? I never resort to gesturing to these people, but believe me, I am definately mumbling obscenities under my breath. Now, these are just some examples of my road rage. Things that contribute to my being a bad driver are as follows:

1.) I love music. I'm either changing a CD or turning the station on the radio at all times. If I can't find the particular CD I am looking for, I do not mind glancing into the back seat to find it.

2.) I'm addicted to text messaging. If I get the urge to text message someone or if they have texted me, I'll be looking back and forth from my phone to the road several times so I can text the person (this has actually caused a fender bender).

3.) I think I have adult ADD. I just can't pay attention. There are times when I come out of some sort of trance and realize that I have no idea what has passed on the road or if I missed my exit. My mind is always somewhere else. I could be thinking about my plans for the evening, solving complex math problems in my head, or my mind could be a complete blank. But you can be certain I am not concentrating on the road.

So, if you see me on the road, beware. If you see me glancing into the backseat or speeding by you looking like I'm talking to myself, please excuse my bizarre behavior. Well, I feel better now that I've gotten that off my chest. I really think this is the first step to becoming a good driver. Although, I don't drive that much and I take public transportation almost everywhere I go. So consider yourself lucky.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home