Monday, December 12, 2005

Common Grammatical Errors

Upon discovering that I am, in fact, perfect, I find it my duty to point out the most common grammatical errors so you, the reader, won't be ridiculed by society. Now, I'm not saying you have to know every grammatical rule in the rule book (there is a rule book, I've seen it), but these will be examples that you should have learned in grade school. I'm not judging you. I'm just trying to help you. I'm also doing this for my own personal reasons as well. I find it incredibly annoying when people erroneously use the wrong word in a sentence, therefore changing the entire meaning. Ok, here it goes.

1. Their, There, or They're?

Their is a possesive pronoun. It always describes a noun.
Ex. Their house is small.

There is an adverb meaning "that location."
Ex. Please stand over there.

They're is a contraction of they are.
Ex. They're going to the party.

2. Its or It's?

Its is a possesive pronoun. It modifies a noun.
Ex. The dog carried its bone outside.

It's is a contraction of it is or it has.
Ex. It's time for you to learn how to use correct grammar.

3. Your or You're?

Your is a possesive pronoun. It modifies a noun.
Ex. Your breath smells bad.

You're is a contraction of you are.
Ex. You're not my friend if you can't figure this out.

There are some exceptions to the rule. The first is when you're text messaging. It is perfectly acceptable to text the word 'your' when you mean 'you're' because it just takes too long to change the texting format to be able to put the apostrophe in. I'm hoping the receiver of the text message will be sympathetic to your mistake. It's also acceptable to make these mistakes when you're typing an email and you accidentally type the wrong form of the word and you just don't have the time to go back and change it. These are the only exceptions and correct grammar must be used at all other times.

Well, those are just a few examples. There are many others but I prefer not to mention them here. If you have any questions about how to write words correctly and use the correct meanings of words please go to www. grammarslammer.com. It's a very helpful tool to use when writing. I hope I was also helpful to you. If I was, please don't email me to tell me so. I'll just assume I helped you and to that I say, "Your Welcome".

2 Comments:

Blogger i_heart_80s said...

I hate you. I bet you didn't even catch the "Your Welcome" joke at the end. You are incredibly stupid and I would appreciate it if you didn't put comments up on my blog. I don't want people to think you are my friend.

9:45 AM  
Blogger jeremy h. said...

"Whiskey makes the heart grow fonder." --Anonymous drunk

10:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home